Bootstrapping new-member privileges

You don’t get a notification if your question is closed or reopened on SE. That had never made sense to me or to most people. It’s an old rejected request. Here’s Jeff’s explanation for rejecting the request (he deleted his answer in 2015, I don’t know why).

We generally don’t want to do this, for a few reasons:

• We don’t believe in overly nagging and notifying people for minutiae. This is a core philosophy at the highest echelons of the company leadership. (Read: me.)
  • You should care about your question more than any other human being on the planet. If it is closed, you should already know about that without needing a special magic notification.
  • It’s an invitation to complain. “Oh look, here is a signed, notarized document telling you we closed your question.” Cue Eeyore in 3… 2… 1…
  • The existing close reasons on the question, along with the explanation, should be sufficient for explaining what is going on.

I strongly dislike the term “shopping list”. It’s incomprehensible if you haven’t hung out on the right early-days meta threads. It encompasses a wide range of questions, some of which are answerable and some of which aren’t. We should definitely do better (but progressively, not as part of the MVP: I expect it’ll take many iterations to achieve a satisfactory system).

5 Likes