Bootstrapping trust levels for young communities

@Corsaka My idea of “automatic bump to level 2 if user already has level 2 or above on another Codidact community” was in response to the suggestion for new communities of:

In other words, for a situation where we want to provide an extra level to start things going, don’t make it too easy to get to level 2, but make it easier than normal.

1 Like

For example, young community phase could provide a single increase in effective trust level for users below TL3, with association bonus (if enabled) granting a second increase. Here’s how that would play out:

New user joining a YC

• Start at TL1 (5+ posts per day, upvote everywhere, 10 comments per hour on others’ questions and others’ answers to others’ questions, flag)
  • 1+ post, 50% well received: TL2 (dozens of posts and comments per day, downvote)
  • 5+ posts, 80% well received: TL3 (basic flags go straight to vote to close, edit suggestions go live immediately, add tags)

Association bonus user joining a YC

• Start at TL2
  • 1+ post, 50% well received: TL3 (first week), TL2 (second and third weeks)
  • 5+ posts, 80% well received: TL3

I word TL3 privileges here as “basic flags go straight to vote to close” and “edit suggestions go live immediately” per @luap42’s suggestion, so that these actions done while in temporary TL3 still count as flags and edits for TL3 qualification post-YC.

Here, after the first week, I apply association bonus only to users that remain below TL2 after factoring in the YC bonus. This phase-out of YC bonus somewhat corresponds to the transition from private beta to public beta on SE.

4 Likes

Also compare how Discourse itself does things. Its quick start guide mentions a “bootstrap mode” based on user population, not time. It automatically promotes all users to TL1 until 50 users have joined. (No association bonus is mentioned.) Discourse isn’t quite the same as Codidact because Discourse is a forum and Codidact will be Q&A, but its tiered trust model is otherwise fairly similar.

(This is my tenth reply. Do I misunderstand new user rate limits, or do I now need to build up more days visited in order to continue?)

You’re already past TL0, since you’ve spent some time reading and read a variety of posts and topics. So there’s no longer any restriction on number of posts, except I guess rate limiting to prevent extremely fast posting.