Do we need any sort of accepting system for questions and answers?

Probably the latter, but — this is what I mean by dimensionality of voting. Resolution is a separate thing from upvoting. I am not a UX expert, but I’d like to see two boxes:

This post is [helpful] / [unhelpful]
This post fully answers the question [ ]

The second should probably only show up if [helpful] is selected.

Sorry, I was a bit incomplete in my thoughts on the Microsoft Community “acceptance”. I’ve seen questions there with an answer marked as the answer by the answer’s author, even though the answer itself isn’t helpful.

I’m getting the impression that “accepted” answers will not automatically sort to the top here, so I’m not gonna flog that dead horse any more. :wink:

3 Likes

In a SE community where I have high enough reputation to see deleted answers, I have more than once seen an answer that was deleted with the “Please don’t add “thank you” as an answer” comment, where the OP has not returned to actually accept the answer he/she/it/whatever liked.

Perhaps we could make it possible for users that are trusted enough to accept an answer when deleting another answer for that particular reason? It’s typically quite clear which of the other answer(s), the OP liked.
(there might be reasons I haven’t thought about that make this a poor idea, if so tell me)

2 Likes

There are some communities or questions where there can be hard to accept the answer - take a look at this question from WorldBuilding.

Sometimes OP intention may be to get as many possible answers without picking the right one.

Maybe there can be two options for OP - one to mark the answer ‘this helped me, thanks’ and the second option - ‘the question is solved’. Both will mark the question as solved, but the second option won’t need picking the ‘right’ answer.