We’ve had a lot of discussions about reputation, voting, scores, displaying scores, collecting reactions in addition to votes… are we ready to start converging on what we want to do in our MVP?
These are things I understand from prior discussions (but haven’t hunted down links for):
- We want to be able to sort answers by some sort of score (best stuff rises to the top).
- We have some concerns about raw “upvotes minus downvotes” as that score, including how it reflects (or doesn’t reflect) controversy.
- We have some concerns about whose votes count (or count how much).
- Should votes be normalized in any way, or should we do nothing that we can’t explain in simple English? (Warning: I do not understand the math there. Link came from this answer on Community Building.)
- We don’t want to give users a single reputation number (so scores don’t contribute to user status).
- We are talking about some privileges that are gated by scores on questions and answers, so individual scores and not just ranking do matter at least a little.
- We don’t know how scores should be presented to readers and whether that should vary based on who the reader is (e.g. anonymous visitor from Google vs. logged-in user vs. post owner).
Thoughts? How do we move forward on this question?