What are we trying to build?

I believe you overestimate what machine learning can do. Your faucet example is off-limits because there are unlikely to be any questions that mention both a faucet and a Mac computer, but there should be plenty of questions that mention both Windows and Mac (“I liked this on Mac, can I get this on Windows?”, ”Does an equivalent of this Windows software exist on a Mac?”).

You are aware that current machine learning is not strong AI? Heck, there are some humans I wouldn’t trust to get this right!

No, I don’t think machine learning is bad. Machine learning is a great way to automate complex tasks. But there are certain tasks I don’t want to be automated, and for those I also don’t want machine learning.

Now a good use for machine learning on codidact could be a tag suggestion mechanism. That is, the algorithm looks at what humans do with the tags, and then when someone writes a new question, it figures out what tags most likely apply, and the human asking the question then has the option to accept those tags, or to change them before posting. New users would likely take the tags as is. If the tags are wrong, experienced human users will notice it and retag, which gives the algorithm more data to learn from. Experienced users will also review the tags, and change them right on the spot if they don’t fit.

The point is, unlike in your scenario, the user is in control. And the machine simplifies it, but does not bypass the user.

Streaming services form your music taste just as much as they react on it, if not more. It is a known psychological effect that the more you listen to a certain type of music, the more you like it (the same is already true for music radio stations). You may consider that a good or a bad thing, but it certainly means that music streaming services are a particularly bad example. Also, music streaming services replace radio stations where you have even less influence on the music you hear.

Also, music streaming services almost certainly tag the music style by hand. The machine algorithm doesn’t figure it out, it uses that information to

Anyway, I don’t usually use music streaming services, and while I do listen to music on YouTube, I rarely use their auto-generated playlists.

This is different because I know I’m on a Mac site, and therefore I know that everything I see will have a Mac bias. And I know that I can easily see a different view by going to the Windows site.

With your machine algorithm, how am I going to see the Windows side if I want to?

Filtering you chose is different in that you can always choose to change your filter. A machine learned filter is fixed; you have no choice. Well, you can try to actively work against that filter, but that is hard work, much harder than just switching to a different site, or adding/removing a tag from your preferred tags.

That’s not an argument for making things worse. That’s an argument for making things better. That’s not an argument for letting the machine chose the community for you. It’s an argument for being member of several communities, so you get several different viewpoints.

For the topic specific site, I see the topic right in the title. I’m constantly reminded that I’m at a place that is biased in a certain way. When a machine learning algorithm determines what I see, it is intransparent what selection I get to see.

Also,the machine learning algorithm cannot adapt to the fact that at different timesI am interested in different topics.

Earlier today I browsed math.SE, but not worldbuilding.SE. On other times I browse worldbuilding.SE but not math.SE. How is the algorithm supposed to know that now I’m interested in seeing math topics, two hours later I’ll be interested in worlbuilding topics, and tomorrow I’ll be interested in programming topics?

Well, I guess I could get different accounts, and use them specifically for different topics, but then I effectively get back to topic sites, except with significantly higher effort. And without the option to effortlessly start browsing a new topic, as I’ll first have to train the machine learning algorithm on a new account that I’m now interested in that other topic.

6 Likes