What are we trying to build?

The majority of scores is 0 and 1.

I assume (but correct me if I’m wrong, as I haven’t done any formal analysis) that’s referring mostly to questions. I don’t care if Questions don’t get many votes. I would even be OK if questions couldn’t even be voted upon, though I am also fine with votes for Questions if lower than for Answers (e.g., 5 vs. 10 points) as the Answers within a question are what really need ranking (based on voting). I generally find that if there are several answers to a question then there also are plenty of votes for the “best” answers.

Many questions are without accepted answers

This is definitely true. Occasionally there are questions where there simply isn’t a “good enough answer” or where the OP doesn’t like any answers. But far more often, I think that it comes down to one of:

• New user who reads the answer and leaves, not having really learned about (or care about) accepting an answer
  • New user who doesn’t actually realize that they should accept an answer. I know this sounds stupid, but I think that the SE page layout just doesn’t make it totally obvious. And people “read” the Tour but they don’t really READ the Tour, which also isn’t really so clear.

So I think the “Low Votes” problem is not necessarily a problem. And the “Accepted Answer” problem really is a problem, but some better design (I have some specific ideas) should be able to improve that considerably but never 100%.

2 Likes