Quoting some things that were said and linked in Discord:
CG&CC Meta.SE: What’s the future of CGCC?
[TL;DR: Code Golf is also starting to die on SE, and they may be looking to move out.]
weegee — I really wish we could’ve gone improving art’s implementation but we have decided something else
ArtOfCode — I’m finding that I’m not able to contribute code meaningfully at the moment, because while I have some C# experience, I have no idea how a .NET Core web app is supposed to be structured.
I doubt I’m the only one - and those without C# experience even more so.
What if we split - so that those who can’t meaningfully contribute to Codidact right now help build qpixel instead, while those who can continue working on the MVP?
We decided a while back that we don’t want to just use an existing implementation straight off. However, I find us in the situation I can’t contribute to Codidact until the code is significantly further along, and others will be in the same boat. If we have folks who are in that situation but could contribute to a Rails project, what if we let them loose on QPixel (the software that’s currently running Writing) instead, and offer to host dying SE communities on that until Codidact is ready?
I’m not suggesting we develop QPixel on the same spec we’ve hammered out for Codidact - QPixel would remain more of a clone of SE than a new format. Codidact will still be our new Q&A-based community-knowledge-sharing software when we finish it, and any existing QPixel communities would be given the chance to migrate to it.
What say we?