I came here from a link in a meta post in SE. I came here expecting a fully working site. From reading few things around i may understand why not the case yet. The reason i post this is: i am just a 2-months old SO user, not involved in communities and the like, and it feels like this perpective is missing. Disclaimer: I do not intend to contribute. But i’d be a user if:
- You become more or less like SO. You know much (and enough) about communities and moderation, just take care of what you did not like and don’t try to be very different.
- You don’t have to be the best. Don’t try to figure everything out. Just do it. There are enough forums and communities out there. Just not enough Q&A sites with the characteristics of SO (nice interface, quality). I do not want to be a user of a site that treats its employees badly, and from that perpective you are already better.
- Do it now, and leave some of the “status quo” as is. I mean, for example, allow users to bring their reputation with them or something, if they wish.
- Think of why would someone become a user? I became because i trusted that if i answer something wrong, someone is gonna correct me (the …didact part) so i felt at ease with answering something.
- Do not discourage naive questions or “do my homework” kind ones. People need that. We need a quick fix sometimes. And yes i know about the learning outcome of ready answers. But still it is a need. Just don’t upvote, or don’t answer.
- Include a Jobs section.
I apologize that i apparently lack your perpective. I guess i expected to see a SE clone without the consciousness worries. It just feels like you focus more on the V than on the M of MVP, but unless you hurry, there is gonna be no P. In the very probable case that this post is totally alien, feel free to delete it.