Introduction thread on this forum?

We have a channel called “skillset” in the Discord chat, where users can introduce themselves. Should we add one here too/replace it with one on this forum?

It would be possible to direct specifically new users to this thread and it is also possible to import some of the chat messages.

I think it would help community building. What’s your opinion?

1 Like

Is there really a need to shift the skillset channel here? I don’t think there’s a need to do so. People don’t have to judge to continue conversations here and if that’s not the case, how would it help in community building?

1 Like

Let’s encourage people to populate their profiles here. That way the info is readily available from any post where you participate.

6 Likes

For the time being I think I still prefer to have the skillset thread on Discord and not here. This is not a strong preference though, and as such, if it’s decided it should be moved here that would be fine by me.

Why: It appears we’re still coordinating talk between contributors in Discord and that’s been going well IMO, so, the way I see it, there’s no pressing reason to change that now.

3 Likes

For what it’s worth, I’d very much like to have an introductions thread here. I’ve got a day job (that is also often a morning, evening, and night job) and much prefer asynchronous communication for things which aren’t urgent. Much easier to pop in and out without the expectation of an immediately-continuing conversation.

2 Likes

That introduction thread is over on Discord, @mattdm - the #skillset channel.

2 Likes

That channel describes itself like this:

Use this channel to tell about the languages you are familiar in and your experience in them

… which doesn’t sounds like a general introductions channel.

I guess having “slow mode” on there helps with my first concern; I didn’t know Discord has that option.

1 Like

Fair point. I’ve changed it.

3 Likes