The site needs a system to know when to trust users with certain privileges, and the site needs a system to reward users when they do good things on the site. This proposal is based off of the reputation discussion thread and tries to take into account most opinions on the thread.
To cover user trust:
- We have a system (call it the “star system” for sake of concept) where users can earn stars for completing various activities around the site.
- For example, there could be five types of stars that cover questions, answers, editing, reviewing, and moderating.
- Users can earn stars by completing tasks specific to the star category.
- For example, users could earn a star in the answers category by posting an answer which was accepted by the owner of the question (theoretical situation).
- The categories are subject to change but we should probably keep the number six or below.
- Users are not ranked by one general reputation number but ranked in each category. This solves the problem of representation and the sense of elitism.
- Users are awarded privileges in different categories based on their participation in each category. This lets people contribute more in the categories they like.
To cover user rewards:
- We have an extensive badge system with hundreds of specific badges.
- Users can earn badges by either completing tasks or achieving certain amounts of stars in categories.
- Badges can be shown off on the users profile. If anything, the badge system would be better to “rank” users since badges cover a wide variety of participation.
- Badges do not offer privileges but may unlock special features (TBD).
Let me know what you think of this system.