My story how I found Codidact & My Idea of a new StackOverflow

My story how I found CODIDACT

this week a user posted a question on overflow The user had a problem responding to all rage comments when users gave a lot of downvots and no useful comments he felt like no one will help him , I was entering the solution then suddenly he deleted his question :rage:

I felt bad does this happen all the time
People spend time trying to help then the Ops donā€™t get helped

Also other scenario where multiple users answer same way at the exact time so thatā€™s a waste of time when more than one work on same question every time

I had a problem with sending a direct massage , tried his profile , I even tried his name in twitter/facebook , i searched SO for how to contact user directly i found a question the first answer was the So called Monica :astonished: :heart_eyes: i saw her profile found this project.

Also because the reputation system is garbage & needs improvement I used a sockpuppetšŸ˜to get my answers one vote when the users just copy the answer & donā€™t say anything ,

they donā€™t vote they just leave the site , so I helped myself I think that the system should automatically give reputation upon involving in a question or when the answer is the only answer & the only answer with some votes get accepted after a inactivity for a few days , also maybe requiring down voters to comment

they deleted my sockpuppet&all votes gone any way :rofl:

I read about the reinstate-Monica controversy
I think stack overflow maybe will not react positively if I posted my ideas in meta so thought that there should be another successful version of stack overflow that values the effort of its contributors ā€œusers who answer questions& help improve the siteā€

We need to overcome this problems

ā€¢ There is no direct communication between Users
   When the users need to follow up with an OP , 
   Especially "OneTimerz"  some users discover the website then in their first minutes experience a bad responses  
   "you don't expect new users come to ask to know every rule and how to make a really good question"

ā€¢ We need  to make some fair systems for the Users who contribute Daily  or trying to make a name for themselves  in the developers community

ā€¢ Question Lifecycle Interactive Guide   
	ā—‹ guiding users visually to the proper way to::  Search existing Duplicates->introduce Problem->Clarify Current Situation(avoideXYquesions)->present Code/Ways to Reproduce

ā€¢ MultiFeature Runnable Snippet
	ā—‹ Proper  Integration  with code editors or websites(CodePen,CodeSandBox)& Embedding runnable code 
	ā—‹ Easier implementation for MinimumReproducibleCode 
		 "Ex: php-snippet   [export empty sql create table][php/html]"

User in Question page can be in Answering Mode(making use of fully featured built-in/embedded runnable snippet)
& commenting&Chatting( :relieved: yes StackOverflow it can happen in one page :relieved: )

My Idea of a new StackOverflow

The Golden Age of StackOverflow has ended years ago

So I started brainstorming for another version of StackOverflow (Stack-Realm)
(using SO APIs to get realtime data&users can login with their StackOverflow data imported (not sure what the API allow us right now) ,

NOT Dividing the Community but Syncing with StackOverflow

A new SO but more entertaining & fun experience to challenge ourselves & help people & get rewarded (your S.E Realm character that gets rewarded)

StackRealm or StackLand  

I didnā€™t know that you guys making a StackExchange of your own , So I pictured the website in a different way

imagine it Like a Game but you donā€™t play things just move around & everything is alive things are more Visual

Every users has a tiny living character (maybe human or pet) user uses his points to purchase items & dress for his character
Maybe a belt represents a tag badge

actions happening gets translated to game world events  like this:

Funny effects using overlayed animated sprites

character does some actions when user (comments / votes / submits answer)
ex: when user writes code/comment tiny-character writes code on its tiny laptop

Also Days active in website === tiny-character age&shape

When there is more than one answer & OP accepts answer a character shows up to kill the other competitors (making helping people more fun)
When user is on the Question page someone DownVote him / or one of the users who answered the question a bomb gets thrown " inside the Question "

Every Question creates a Space/land in the website when the upvotes casts inside the question its space increases Which increases the amount of User Build points (for user who gets votes Q or A )
& when users get down-votes gets notification& animation of ā€œsomeone destroyed something in your landā€

land can be built using small animated objects(user land maybe itā€™s the Profile view)

Also the Tags or a combination of tags preserves a spaces of blob like space
inside it exists all questions to search or to view existing users
some users has small house others has a bigger spot (depend on reputation)

When a question is created Online users " inside that TAG space "
they see a small character [stuck inside a maze / held inside prison/surrounded by deadly Bugs ] and the title of the question is written over that small animated sprite list( question list)
Itā€™s like a rescue task

The question situation changes so the type of animation sprite

On Question page Answers viewed as a Card with css3d simple-animation

Moral Rewards For Servicing the community

The Shields that are clearly showing the users contribution in a specific field

Housesā€¦=>ā€¦Castles
User Gets a bigger House when points(reputation) Reaches certain level
showing character wealth (user total contribution[Votes&VotedAnswerCount]) ,
also showing his Size&Respect&Value in the Community

How we can put together some of this ideas into Codidact

Maybe FunMode On/Off Feature (itā€™s just events after all server sends data then Client behaves in two different ways traditional or FunMode).

i know maybe some of you may donā€™t like the idea
but feel free to express your emotions in the comments/reply after that help me put some of that content to codiddact::feature::Usecases

1 Like

Itā€™s not that I donā€™t like it, but youā€™re describing a different project.
In the past months, a whole bunch of people worked on this, coming to conclusions in lengthy discussions, writing documentation, writing codeā€¦
Your idea is so different that it would mean throwing 99% of it away. That seemsā€¦ disrespectful.

That being said, Codidact will have an API. So you can start a project that uses data (questions, answers etc) from Codidact to realise your idea.

7 Likes

This is spot on. Iā€™m ambivalent about the idea itself, but regardless - itā€™s not something that Codidact will support. Itā€™s too much work to justify, and it doesnā€™t fit in with what weā€™re trying to achieve.

TL;DR: Everyone has a ā€œnew Stack Overflowā€ idea, but thatā€™s not what weā€™re building.

5 Likes

you are right , i came late to codidact project , didnā€™t have a chance to form a full picture of the project :pensive:

also about the API :
very cool but you may find that after period of time huge part of traffic is gone from the site , could this be a problem?

At the moment, the websites themselves arenā€™t even really started yet.
In other words, we first need to get a lot of traffic before we are even in a position to lose a lot of traffic.

The idea of a Q&A platform is proven, and there are whole communities wanting to get away from SE. Thatā€™s a big starting bonus, which makes this project less likely to fail.

However, keep in mind that ā€œcommunitiesā€ here means the people who are actively participating! So for one community, that can mean 10 moderators and 50 active subject matter experts - but not the 1000 visitors who just get there via google search! Those will make up the biggest part of traffic, but that number will grow much more organically; more slowly over time.

And that process hasnā€™t even really started. We have one community on an intermediate platform thatā€™s missing all kinds of features, and one meta (which is only about ourselves and not interesting to other people). So weā€™re not in a position to invite people to our platform yet.
So in short, we wonā€™t have to worry about declining traffic anytime soon.

4 Likes

It seems to me that you describe a site that would appeal to a very different audience than those that visit StackExchange. The heavy game-ification you describe would surely be interesting to see, but I think it kind of has mixed goals that would compete with and hinder each other. Some people would come to ā€œplay the gameā€ and others would come to participate in Q&A to actually get and provide answers to real problems.

I donā€™t think it would work super well, but I do really like your creativity and the concept of making websites as fun to use as games.

3 Likes

Hi i want to remind you with a point that the reason why i took the idea that direction because i when i talk about SE i see only with an eye of a Stack-overflow member , so i know that thereā€™s other communities .

also one thing : why Gamification , why tangible rewards , why Extra-reputation
. . . Just take a look at the questions with bounty how many answers they get.

but you are all right this is maybe another project ,also any idea/feature should take into consideration every discussions and decisions made .