I would like to know if there is an interest to add a public API to the Codidact MVP. Some advantages of having a public API are:
- Users can utilize the public API and build their own small applications that would help Codidact. This includes slack connections, mail feeds and so on.
- There can be extensions, like mobile apps that are built on top of the API.
- Users can consume data from the API to get necessary status info about their posts.
- Given the fact that the backend is already exposing a REST API, it wouldn’t be that hard to create another public endpoint.
Some not so good reasons would be:
- There is already a lot of work to do, adding a new heavy feature would be difficult and taxing.
- The project is already open source, and contributors can directly add new features instead of using the public API to build their own.
Some users (like me) are more attracted to a site due to the fact that there exists a public API and they can consume that to create nice things. Would it be possible to add a public API? Atleast a read-only version would be really helpful. (I would certainly like to chip in during the design phase of the public API, if there is going to be one)