Why should we exist?

Without interfering to the other points, I just wanted to point out, that Olin is still here and actively contributing.

For reasons of privacy I won’t comment on Olin. Feel free to send me messages, where you think I had a wrong reaction and I’ll try to correct it. I apologize if I came around as rude and I’ll try to be even more friendly next time/avoid getting into discussions.

Ironically, I don’t know exactly what you mean with this and where this relates to.

I can only speak for myself, but I think nobody here wants to prevent newcomers from participating in discussions. However, we cannot re-discuss and overturn any decision once somebody new comes and disagrees with it. If we did that, we’d effectively never start. If we did that, then we’d really have to turn new people away. We need to keep decisions, once we made them.

Some decisions have been made after seriously weeks of discussion. We must stick to those discussions or we’ll never be able to start.

Such discussions are:

• We will build a community-governed platform.
  • Our primary focus is Q&A.
  • Our tech stack C# ASP.NET Core
  • How we do reputation/privileges

Every bit of time we spend with these discussions is actively preventing us from starting to build our software.

Therefore there are decisions, where nobody will be able to change it. This is mostly true for questions of opinion/interest/personal preference, such as tech stack. I am not complaining, but we had really really heated and long discussions about it (as in: almost a week without a real break; I woke up with some 300 new messages daily)

Besides those discussions that simply can’t reconsidered (tech stack and the others from above), we try to link to the original discussion and – if the arguments are simply repetitive – close it or – otherwise – let it stay as long as it is productive.

In my opinion, we are actually allowing too much discussion. I am not saying that it is bad, but it feels like we are bikeshedding on some matters instead of finally starting.

The current standard procedure is to follow this process around “how are MVP features decided”, which aims for agreement over voting, but uses voting if no agreement can be made:

5 Likes